Thursday, April 8, 2010

Private William S. Reed (1861-1864)

I wandered into Preston City at around 6:00pm last night (April 7) after having some time to kill before my class at 7:00pm. As I drove into the center of town, I saw a cemetery to my left up on a hill. So I decided to check it out and see what I could find. Well I found not one but two members of Company G buried there. Phineas Davis and William Reed. But for today's post, we'll focus just on Reed.


William S. Reed resided in Preston City, Connecticut when the was broke out in 1861. At age 31, he enlisted for three years service on September 30, 1861 and was mustered into Company G, the "Stonington Company" that same day. He went on to serve at places such as New Berne, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Suffolk, Port Walthall Junction, Drewry's Bluff, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg. He was mustered out of the army on September 20, 1864, just a few days before the attack on Fort Harrison.

He died on May 19, 1905 at the age of 72. He was buried at Preston City Cemetery in Preston, Connecticut.

If you wish to visit Reed's grave today, its pretty easy to find. If you enter the cemetery at the main gate off of Shetucket Turnpike (Rt. 165), the grave is located just off to the left at the bottom of the hill. You're not able to drive to the grave, you'll have to walk up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment